Pages

Search This Blog

23.5.17

Blueberry & Orange Muffins




I'm re-sharing this recipe, as Emma and I plan to go blueberry picking soon... yay summer!

.......

Not only do we have a lot of blackberries around here, but we also have (had) a lot of blueberries.  We've made gobs of blueberry muffins this summer and I needed a twist of something new.


I added some orange juice and zest to our most recent batch and love how it turned out.  It was just the right amount of something different.  I was considering even doing an orange glaze on the top - I love anything with a glaze, but opted for a crunchy sugar sprinkling instead.

I also baked these a little longer than I normally do because I had a craving for a browned sugar top.  Don't ever underestimate the power of texture when it comes to food.  Yum!

A morning baking at the baking counter - I really do love having a big separate area to spread out on. 


Here's one of my favorite tips : I put extra batter in a Large Disposable Pastry Bag.  I can keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of days or in the Freezer for months.  When we want muffins, I just get it out and squeeze it individually into the muffin papers.  If it is in the freezer, I get it out the night before and put it in the fridge to thaw.


I love the Jumbo Brown Cupcake Papers for muffins - just like a bakery.


This is the morning we went blue berry picking with our friends.  Sweet Emma. 


I think she tried a green one ; )




Blueberry Orange Muffins

1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups granulated sugar
2¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup milk
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1 orange, zested and juiced
6 oz. fresh blueberries
....
coarse sanding sugar*


For the muffin batter, stir together flour sugar baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl.  Add melted butter, eggs, orange juice, zest and milk and stir just until combined.   Fold in blueberries.  With an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with papers.

Top generously with coarse sanding sugar.

Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.


I sprinkled generously with sanding sugar before baking.





Love that crunchy sugar top!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea about storing extra in a pastry bag! Thank you for your lovely photos also.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Jenny Steffens Hobick. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign